Adobe Photoshop LE (Limited Edition)

Adobe Photoshop LE (Limited Edition) Forum. Adobe Photoshop LE is a precursor to Photoshop Elements. Was bundled with scanners. 

Keywords Adobe, Photoshop, LE, Limited, Edition, remove, background

remove background

Adobe Photoshop LE (Limited Edition) Forum Index -> Adobe Photoshop LE (Limited Edition)

AuthorMessage
Angela_Bostick (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: remove background

I am trying to find out a way to totally remove the background from a photo and replace it with solid black. My Photoshop 5.0 LE came with no instructions and I have not been able to figure out how to accomplish this, or if it is even possible with this version. I do not simply want to use the magic wand and paint around the picture, I want to remove the background. If this is too complicated to explain on this board, can someone direct me to a book that can explain it? Thank you!
Serge_P (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: remove background

Yes it is possible with LE.

You can download the free "Adobe Photoshop LE Classroom in a Book" from
<http://www.pacific.adobe.com/products/tips/photoshople.html>
You will also need to download the "Sample Art" to follow along with the lessons. This is the best tutorial available for LE. It covers just about everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: remove background

Thank you very much. I will do that and see if I can figure it out :0)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: remove background

I downloaded the files last night and worked my way through it all morning. However, I cannot find anything that explains how to remove a background when it is quite complex. Everything in the tutorial and practice photos had nice blank backgrounds to begin with, so selecting the image was not a problem. What do you do when you want to remove a person's image from an outside photo with a ton of different colors in the background??? arrghghhhh.
Serge_P (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: remove background

I use the full-version of Photoshop. The full-version comes with a special masking command called "Extract." The full version also has the "Pen tool" where you can create "Paths," It has a "Background Eraser Tool" and a "Magic Eraser Tool." Unfortunately these tools are not available in LE.
I personally use a third-party plug-in made by Extensis called "Mask Pro" to mask things like "hair" from complex backgrounds. Corel also makes a similar plug-in called "KnockOut."

Just remember that when using the "Magic Wand Tool," this tool will vary its selection depending totally depend on what settings you choose on the "Eyedropper Options." Yes, that is correct. Both the Magic Wand and the Eyedropper work together. If you want to refine your selection, you must set the Eyedropper Sample Size to "Point Sample." If you select a "5 by 5 Average" you will select a wider range of colours when you use the Magic Wand. If you use the "Magnetic Lasso Tool" you can also set this tool's options by double-clicking the tool in the toolbox, and changing the settings.

Remember that LE is a great program but it is missing many tools that you can only get in the full-version of Photoshop. That's why LE is the "Limited Edition."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: remove background

Yes, unfortunately I am finding this out. I think I am going to ditch this program and buy one that will better suit my needs. Thank you very much for your help!
   Adobe Photoshop LE (Limited Edition) Forum Index -> Adobe Photoshop LE (Limited Edition)All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1